Today marks the start of Academic Book Week 2018, a ‘celebration of the diversity, innovation and influence of academic books’ (https://acbookweek.com/). There are many events running across the country (https://acbookweek.com/featured-events/) and you can also vote for your favourite book in the online poll searching for the most influential book from a shortlist of 20 books by women that have changed the world.
The Twenty Books by Women that Changed the World
- The Diary of a Young Girl, by Anne Frank
- On Photography, by Susan Sontag
- Why I’m No Longer Talking to White People About Race, by Reni Eddo-Lodge
- The Unwomanly Face of War, by Svetlana Alexievich
- A Vindication of the Rights of Women, by Mary Wollstonecraft
- Ain’t I a Woman?, by bell hooks
- The Second Sex, by Simone de Beauvoir
- A Room of One’s Own, by Virginia Woolf
- Silent Spring, by Rachel Carson
- Gender Trouble: Feminism and the Subversion of Identity, by Judith Butler
- The Hite Report, by Shere Hite
- The Female Eunuch, by Germaine Greer
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, by Maya Angelou
- Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte
- Women & Power, by Mary Beard
- I am Malala, by Malala Yousafzai
- The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, by Rebecca Skloot
- No Logo, by Naomi Klein
- The Origins of Totalitarianism, by Hannah Arendt
- Frankenstein, by Mary Shelley
I am excited to see several books here that have been impactful reading at different times in my life. I really enjoyed studying Anne Frank and her diary at school and my cancer and genetics background means I will always be fascinated by the ethical issues and questions raised by the amazing story of Henrietta Lacks. There are a few here that I have yet to read too – time to add some to the reading list.
Which book has most influenced you? You can vote until Thursday (https://acbookweek.com/) and the winner will be announced on Friday.
Looking for a proofreader or editor?
I am Dr Angela Stokes, an experienced academic, proofreader and editor. You can find out about the proofreading and copy-editing services I offer for academics and students here.
If you would like more information about how I can help you with your project or more about the editing services that I provide, then please get in touch by emailing: email@example.com.