AcEDemy is a trading name of Dr Angela Stokes Editing Services and is run by myself, Dr Angela Stokes. I offer proofreading and copy-editing services to students, academics and authors, and I work with clients from all over the world. I am a sole trader, I have no employees and I do not outsource any work.
Personal data is information about you that is identifiable but perhaps not otherwise freely available, such as your name, address, email address and telephone number. I am committed to ensuring that your personal data is protected when you entrust me with it and you can be assured that I will only use your data in the ways described in this policy.
What data do I collect about you?
- Your name
- Your email address and/or your telephone number (depending on method(s) of contact)
- Your postal address (for generating invoices and project agreements)
- Information about your project (e.g., word count, type of document, turnaround times)
- Project files that you send to me (sample text for the sample edit and the project files)
Why do I collect this data?
I collect the minimum amount of data needed to provide the service you are looking for and to fulfil my obligations to my tax authority: HMRC (Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs). This means that this data is required to:
- contact you in reply to your enquiry or regarding your ongoing project(s)/commission(s)
- provide you with a sample edit and quote for the work
- invoice you for the agreed work
- provide a project agreement for the work
- record your agreement to the terms and conditions of my services
- be compliant with my tax authority should it request an audit of my business
I will not use this data for marketing/promotional purposes unless you have given me permission to do so; for example, to use your name along with your testimonial on my website or advertisements.
How do I collect this data?
All the data I collect is requested and received by:
- email correspondence and attachments
- telephone conversations and text messages
- other messaging services, such as Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn
How do I store your data?
The minimal amount of data that I collect is stored in the following ways:
- Microsoft Office/Go Daddy email system
- Password-protected computer and data drive
- PayPal (for those clients who prefer to use this invoicing/payment system)
How long do I keep this data?
If you commission my services, I am required to keep your contact details (those needed to generate and send an invoice – name, email address, postal address and/or telephone number) for five years from the date of my tax return (so approximately seven years altogether). After this time period has lapsed, please just let me know if you wish me to delete all records I hold.
If you would like your work files (sample texts, work texts and edits) to be deleted sooner than the seven years then that is not a problem – my obligations to HMRC are only related to the invoices.
If you do not commission my services after discussion and sample edit, then please let me know if you would like me to delete all of your details/files. If I do not hear from you, then these will be deleted after the seven year period as detailed above.
Do I share your data?
I do not share your data unless you request me to do so or if HMRC asks to see my files during an audit of my business.
If I am unable to take on your project, I will try to help by giving you details of other editing services that you could contact. On these occasions, I will have permission from these services to pass potential clients their contact details. I will only give your name to these services and then only with your prior permission – after that, contacting them and providing more details about your project is up to you.